Imperial College Business School
Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education* across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
* Includes undergraduate and Master’s level programmes of study and short course provision.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example via student survey results and staff-student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To provide oversight and scrutiny of the processes of quality assurance for the Faculty’s academic provision in accordance with the College’s Academic Standards Framework.
- To oversee the implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC).
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision.
- To approve minor changes to existing programme curricula (including for existing collaborative provision) and short course provision in accordance with the College Academic Standards Framework and report these to the Programmes Committee.
- To approve changes to entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To approve and keep under review programme specifications for taught degree programmes and approve and keep under review course specifications for short course provision and inform QAEC.
- To approve and keep under review marking schemes and schemes for award of honours and inform QAEC.
- To appoint panels to consider special cases for admission and other circumstances.
- To oversee all special cases.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve new student exchange partnerships and the renewal of existing student exchange partnerships and report these to QAEC.
- Where applicable, receive minutes from the joint management boards for the Faculty’s collaborative programme.
- To report regularly through formal minutes and termly summary reports to QAEC.
- Where appropriate to appoint sub-committees to carry out the above responsibilities.
To be quorate a minimum of one third of members need to be present.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- A student representative;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Head of Academic Services;
- A representative from the Education Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and GSU President or Deputy President
|Professor Jonathan Haskel||Academic Director as Chair|
|Professor Karim Abadir||Finance Department Representative|
|Dr Katja Ahoniemi||Programme Director Representative, Finance Department Teaching Fellow|
|Dr Paola Criscuolo||Innovation & Entrepreneurship Department Representative|
|Dr Namrata Malhotra||Management Department Representative|
|Dr Edgar Meyer||Ex-Officio Member, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programmes|
|Dr Yuri Mishina||Management Department Representative|
|Ms Diane Morgan||Ex-Officio Member, Associate Dean of Postgraduate Programmes|
|Dr Paolo Taticchi||Programme Director Representative, Management Department Teaching Fellow|
|Ms Karen Tweddle||Co-Chair, Head of Teaching & Quality (minutes)|
|Ms Judith Webster||Registry Representative|
|TBC||Educational Development Unit Representative|
|TBC||Imperial College Union Representative|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2017/18)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2017/18)|
|03 October 2017||19 September 2017|
|29 November 2017||15 November 2017|
|28 February 2018||14 February 2018|
|17 April 2018||04 April 2018|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.